Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Post your progress!

A topic by Impy created Feb 08, 2022 Views: 936 Replies: 53
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted(+8)

It's been a week and I'm sure that I'm not the only one with a quarter-baked game in the works. It's always fun to see early progress screenshots and concept art to compare to the final games, so I thought I'd make a thread to share a bit of what we've got so far. If you want to be mysterious and keep your game as a surprise, just post a tantalizing hint instead. Don't worry about how your game looks either, we've all got different levels of experience and time on our hands and many of the simpler games actually turn out to be the most clever ones in these jams, so don't be shy!

For my own submission, I'm working on a castle exploration management game.

This screen took most of my first week to make and will hopefully become a solid foundation for the more exciting parts of the game. I'll probably need to add a little hint button to remind players of what all the funny-looking icons represent.

Sketches of the main cast. These were actually done before the jam started this time for reasons that couldn't be avoided.

Now it's your turn! Keep your explanations short and simple like I did, or share the whole story, whichever way's more fun for you to type. Take a moment to share a behind-the-scenes preview of your creative process and get some early feedback in return!

(+2)

I’m trying to keep daily updates on Twitter, the latest one (video looks better than a screenshot): https://twitter.com/eugeneloza1/status/1490819139732180997

Hopefully in the end of February that’ll be a RTS-like roguelike-like dungeon crawler with survival elements and high accent on gameplay (as I’m very bad at art, it’ll most likely be garbage :D - something that forced me to ~~give up~~ postpone my previous project).

Submitted(+1)

Wow, I really like that parallax 3D effect, I don't think I've seen a setup like this before. It gets a bit distorted at the edges, but the center looks really good when the whole thing's in motion. I'm curious how the RTS and roguelike elements will end up working together, sounds like a fun idea! Don't be too hard on your art, I've tried Foxy Misfortunes a few months ago and I thought that it fit the game well enough. It should work nicely in the top-down environment you're making.

(1 edit) (+1)

Thank you! :)

I’m also a bit worried about the parallax effect - but I want the game to run solid on cheap Android phones and 2D is something I can optimize well, and not so sure about voxels. I’m itching to write my own optimized voxels renderer but not today :D

RTS+Roguelike [soft spoilers ahead]: I’m aiming at Swords of Ditto experience but in Path of Exile/Diablo control style. I’m not sure if I’ll manage to finish the next feature by the end of February - but I plan that in some missions the Player would control multiple characters, peaking in a small-scale war in the final battle. Every run ends with the hero/heroine (only heroines for the Jam) getting captured and the next character goes down to rescue him/her and hopefully get a bit deeper into the dungeon only to get captured too, rinse, repeat.

Submitted(+1)

That sounds like a really good combination and the story hook of rescuing your last hero is a great framing device. I hope it turns out the way you want it to.

The parallax effect looks great when you're zoomed in, so you could have most of the game play with the camera close to the player character. For the later parts when you're controlling an army and need to see more, zoom out the camera and move the parallax layers closer together. This sort of approach should reduce the distortion at screen edges.

(1 edit) (+1)

Arrgh… it feels that I won’t make it in time…

A lot is working but a few crucial mechanics are still missing:

https://twitter.com/eugeneloza1/status/1497923879116881926/video/1

Submitted(+1)

No worries, I'm having to make cuts to my project in the last hours too and I don't think I'm the only one. You can always update the game after the voting period is finished. What you've got right now looks great already, especially given the very unfortunate circumstances you're working in...

I think your art is getting better really quick too. I can definitely see the improvements from Foxy Misfortunes.

(+1)

update the game after the voting period is finished

That’s the thing I’m most worried about :) I see that a significant quantities of downloads come from first few days after “publishing the game” and I don’t want to disappoint people :D

I was even considering releasing Vinculike-prototype for jam (when it become clear that the scope is a bit too large for a jam project as if it wasn’t obvious from the very beginning :D), then deleting the game page and releasing it anew after the game is in representative status. Minimum viable product = dungeon levels, multiple enemies (at least 2 types), settlement and rooster, bondage mechanics, survival mechanics, basic skills set, etc. I don’t think it’ll take less than another month to get to that level.

Submitted(+1)

You probably don't need to delete the game page, maybe just call it "Jam version" and release the full game when it's ready as a separate upload. You can also link the full game from the jam version page later so there's no confusion.

(+5)

I actually didn't realize this jam had started (joined last year, liked how chill everyone was), but it works out because I started a piece yesterday that would fit right in.

I'm making an interactive fiction web game featuring one of my robot OCs getting into lewd shenanigans.  It's interesting, because he's more interested in the romantic connections than passionate desire.  Usually the lady he's with is as well, but she's going through a weird time; this is the source of the shenanigans.  The lady is my self-insert character.  Anyway, I was writing some of the branching choices today.  Tomorrow, the first of the SCENES.  The first SCENE is a more traditional SCENE.  The second one is the shenanigans.  Gotta have some attempt at normalcy before going full weird.  

My goal is actually to get it made by and submitted on Valentines Day, so this will be interesting.  Also because I have a visual novel I need to finish AND I'm going to attempt to make a card game AND I'm working full-time.  I want to make this game, but I don't have too much time to dedicate to it?  So a week-long shipfic with some minor branching choices seems like a good, fun challenge.

No pictures because I don't want to spoil who the robot OC is on the off chance that anyone here is familiar with all my robot OCs, because that would spoil the surprise.

Submitted

The Man, the Alien, and the AI was probably my favorite story-focused game in last year's jam so I'm definitely interested to see more. It's a shame that you've only got a week this time. A smaller, SCENE focused game does sound like a good way to make the most of it!

Submitted(+7)

I have very little visible progress so far. Mostly I've just been planning and outlining and worrying I'm getting in over my head.

I'm working on a game with Ghost Trick-inspired movement and interaction mechanics, where you're a spirit haunting an office and you do poltergeist shenanigans to horny-up the workplace.

So far I've got the "jump between nodes" movement working, and an "act" button that lets you trigger an effect on the node (right now just causing it to move over). I think I can basically bury all that under a bunch of art and animations (which I am kinda dreading making) and have most of the gameplay done?

Submitted(+1)

I love Ghost Trick! I think that type of gameplay will be really cool in a horny game. I was wondering what sort of project you'd develop for this year's event, and I really like the choice!

Submitted (4 edits) (+5)

Ooooh, everyone's ideas look so cool :D

Currently I'm making a little game based on frotting and trying to have it work as commentary on violence being seen as acceptable in media while sexuality is frowned upon and excluded from most places and platforms. Right now I have pretty much all gameplay and systems finished, just gotta make the art for it :D

Submitted(+1)

What sort of genre will it be? I've just been trying to picture frotting with social commentary in every possible setting in my head. I like to imagine it as a Doom clone, where instead of a chainsaw you have a massive boner and the demons yell at you to stop rubbing dicks with them.

Submitted (3 edits) (+1)

Oh, it does involves demons! :D

But in it you're a demon that's fighting hierarchy throught magical challenges. I suppose you could say it's a fighting game, but seen from above and where mostly dicks and hands move. I do admit the premise is a bit convoluted XD

Here's  some gameplay preview with placeholder art ( very NSFW, of course)

Submitted

Oh wow, well that's a full-on cock brawl game. Pretty damn clever setup, I like the POV you chose.

Submitted (3 edits) (+6)

Oh that's exciting to see everyone's progress :3

I'm making a physic-based puzzle game. You have to stick your character on the ground/wall and try to reach the interesting part of the level with your booty.
I prototyped half of the levels and I try to achieve a pastel mood with a gecko boy.

Here's a example with the 2nd level.
Link to level preview (NSFW)

I did some concepts for the other levels as well.

I'm doing the 3rd one.
Link to character concepts (NSFW)

An accelerated footage to show the gameplay:
https://twitter.com/malerouille/status/1489315042617081860/video/1

Submitted(+2)

I really like the style you're going for and the innovative gameplay! Not an easy game to make on a time budget, so I really admire how much you've already got done in just the first week.

(+3)

Looks amasing!

Submitted(+3)

Wow, these assets look great! It sounds like a really wacky and fun idea as well, haha. Can't wait to see it :D

(+3)

This looks so well made! I love it !

Submitted (1 edit) (+4)

Nice to see this many participants again on this year's jam. Some old and some new faces, I hope everyone enjoys the gamejam. My time for this jam is more limited than previous years, so I'm trying to make a smaller project this year. It's gonna be a score based shooter game in a sexdoll apocalypse.

(+1)

Wow, that looks cool :D

Submitted(+1)

Very excited to play it. The pixel art looks great as always Nekolag!

Submitted(+2)

Really like this pixel art style, and the setting sounds super fun too, good luck! ^^

Submitted(+3)

For my idea, I want to do a Point-And-Click style adventure game where you want to impress the barista at a bubble tea shop called "Booba Tea." The objective being find clues to reveal what her favorite combination of bubble tea flavors are to proceed onto a sexy scene as a reward!

Did a little brainstorming with my Twitch chat and had a lot of fun coming up with puzzles and ideas! This is my rough game design document showing the different scenes, puzzles, and general flow of the game. As well as the limits I set for myself like having only 1 NPC and 3 different scenes maximum:

Should be fun and a learning experience trying to complete as much as I can :D

Submitted(+1)

You're really going all out with that storyboarding. The environments and puzzle style make me think of Sam and Max. I'm excited to see these sketches come to life!

Submitted(+4)

Made a cheeky little walk cycle for my main character!  (will animate floppy bits later)

This is my first time modeling, rigging, and animating in Blender. I'm pretty happy with it :)

Submitted(+2)

Very nice work! Modelling's not easy, so I'm quite impressed by all the 3D games that are being developed for this jam!

Submitted(+2)

Looking good. The walk has a nice bounce to it. 

Submitted(+2)

Here's a little (poor quality) snippit of what I have. Excited to show the full thing here soon :3

Good luck everybody with your projects!!!!

(+1)

Nice!

Submitted(+4)

ive only realized that this gamejam exists today so im pretty much in a tight deadline

good thing i make basic games on twine and shtuff so heres the current progress i have!!

please note that theres barely any text in these boxes yet, i havent written anything on them

Submitted(+2)

ah shite forgot my flowcharts

Submitted

I really like these types of short games with lots of different story paths and events. Definitely want to see how this turns out!

Submitted(+2)

finished all the drawings, characters, and backgrounds, and the text and html shite too

after some polishing, play testing, and proofreading, the game should be done!

Submitted

They look incredibly cute. Love the style. Definitely not what I pictured when I read the flowchart entries.

Submitted(+1)

thanks!

Submitted(+3)

A quick week 2 update on how my own game's coming along:

I got most of everything working. You can play though the whole game, complete objectives and actually reach a gameover screen. There's even a few horny scenes that are half-done. I will need to make a basic breach control system, but that's the only major element that's still missing. The greyscale sprites and bare backgrounds are probably not there to stay, I do want to give them a little more life if time permits. 

Oh, and the scroll in the bottom left? That's the button that will actually explain what all the funny icons represent.

Thanks to everyone for posting so many wonderful previews. I can't wait to try this year's batch of games!

Submitted(+2)

Your progress is looking good so far, good luck with the final weeks! The scroll sounds like a useful addition indeed.

Submitted(+1)

Very cool! Great idea to add a Help button UwU What's next on your journey?

Submitted(+2)

Working on a simple card battle system for breaches. Whatever time I have left after that will go towards improving art and dialogue.

Submitted(+1)

Oh that's a lot of work coming I see :3 You're working on the sound and musics too?

Submitted(+2)

That's the one thing I can't do myself. I'm using music and sound effects from a collection. It's all in the game already.

Submitted(+1)

I've built a basic but functional card battle system and deck editor this week. I also crossed the 4000 lines of code milestone today according to Code Metrics. To be fair, there are a lot of case switches because each resource works a little bit differently, so a good chunk of it repeats with slight variations. I'm going to wrap up the loose code ends tomorrow and spend the remaining time on improving the art and writing. Good luck to everyone else who is planning to work till the end and an early, well-earned congratulations to those who have published their games!

Submitted(+3)

I've been procrastinating and haven't really started at all on art or real content yet. I did manage to make a lot of progress on NPC routines though. At this point it's possible for NPCs to:

• Move to different waypoints.
  • Wait in place for some amount of time.
  • Say something.
  • Set a global game-state flag.
  • Wait in place until a game-state flag is set (good for synchronizing multiple NPCs).
  • Switch to a different routine.
  • Conditionally switch to a different routine if a game-state flag is set (this is how player interaction will affect the game mostly).

Originally, each NPC routine was defined in an array, like this:

[
    ["message", "Hello world"],
    ["travel", Vector2(600,300)],
    ["message", "Goodbye world"],
    ["wait", 2.0]
]

But I decided it was going to be a pain to define them like that for the actual game, so I wrote a parser to load routines from plain text instead. Now I can define the same routine like this:

message "Hello world"
travel 600 300
message "Goodbye world"
wait 2.0
Submitted(+1)

If you've got something this robust in place, you could even try adding a level editor. Sort of a combination of Ghost Trick and the Incredible Machine?

Submitted(+1)

That's a fun idea! Although right now I'm not really planning for the interactables to be very modular, they're all gonna be unique elements that are designed for one scene.

In previous non-horny game jams I've done collaborations where I designed all the modular components and gave them to a collaborators so they could do all the level design and stuff, which worked pretty well I think.

Submitted(+3)

Looks like it's gonna be a huge crunch from here out. I keep updating the scripting system instead of actually making game content.

I managed to get started on art stuff last night. Got dialogue busts and map icons for about half of the characters. I'm only spending about 25 minutes on each character so it's rough, but here's the cast so far.

There's also unclothed versions of each one!

(+1)

Looking stylish!

Submitted(+1)

It's too easy and tempting to keep adding code features. I was planning to switch to improving my sprites almost 5 days ago, but ended up making a bunch of changes to my battle system and menus instead. Wishing you the best of luck with getting the art finished, I really like the designs!

Submitted(+2)

I've submitted my project! I got uhhhh one scene done instead of the seven or so I planned, but it's still fun as a proof of concept. I really struggled to find good spots for interactivity; it mostly plays itself other than a couple very basic puzzles. Thus I'm calling it more of a "scene" than a game at this point.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Can't wait to check it out! It sounds like you built a good engine, so maybe you can add the other six scenes bit by bit over the year.