Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

downloadable games not getting as many reviews?

A topic by repeatloader created Jun 03, 2023 Views: 362 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted

I have noticed browser based games get alot more reviews and ratings than download games - more than a few people I have tallked to have 100+ ratings on web based games, while others with downloadables are almost begging for reviews..

now for my shameless plug:

Rate Mirror Mirror by repeatloader for The GameDev.tv Game Jam 2023 - Free Course For All Submissions! - itch.io

review mine, ill review yours  :)

Submitted (2 edits)

I have noticed that, and it's a shame, but I kind of get that some people would prefer to play games in a browser and not download files. I gave your game a try and left you some feedback and a rating.

Here's mine if you want to check it out. :) https://itch.io/jam/gamedevtv-jam-2023/rate/2093951

Submitted (1 edit)

It's a common result, both in game jams and on itch in general. The more difficult it is to do something, the fewer people will do it, even when the 'difficulty' in question amounts to a few more clicks. I definitely opt for browser based entries over download only ones even though I'd prefer for people to play the download version of mine when possible. Likewise I keep the browser version of mine up despite it having a nasty bug I can't find a way to fix, because there are still far more people who will play it as a result.

Submitted(+1)

yes, I agree that downloadable type game like ours will get review less than the browser one since the browser take less effort to play and we need to rate many game. It is a problem not only in this jam but also the problem in my previous jam. The thing that work for me is, if you rate 50 game, you will get half of the rating which is 25. I also do that in my previous jam and now I also do that. I rated 100 game and now get 50 rating. Especially for unreal user like us, where the game size will be far bigger than others. we should expect lesser rating from there, so I think we need to do many-many more rating than other dev's do if we want to get rated. at least that what I think :D.

Submitted

I've noticed the same problem, and yeah, it's just due to the extra steps required compared to running a game in the browser that means we don't get as many ratings. I wish Unreal Engine still supported web publishing but it looks like that feature isn't coming back. I'm making a conscious effort to rate downloadable games this jam just to try and even out the numbers. I'll give yours a try too. If you get chance here's mine: https://davesutcliffe.itch.io/chronokill

Submitted

ty, i tried yours as well, it is very well done.   mine can be quite difficult depending on a few things, unfortunately alot of people have a hard time with the moving platforms. im on a 4k -- so it wasn't much of a problem for me, others were having it move away too quick, they couldn't time it very easy lol.    

Submitted

Mostly I prefer to play web based games. There are still 50 games I cane play, when I chill on the couch, because I use my macbook there. ^^

Submitted

I played your game and enjoyed it, but I forgot to leave a review. I wanted to let you know that the bones in the feet seem to deform. It's possible that you have weighted all the bones to the root, which is causing the distortion. However, it didn't hinder my gameplay experience

Submitted (1 edit)

that was due to losing all of the characters native animations in a hard drive crash, i had to redirect the built in sidescroller animations onto that character which caused the feet to do that -- then I thought... well its kinda funny so I left it that way ..   :)   ty 

I am reworking it though -  all the way through-- here is a quick shot of whats going with the new version ill post after the jam is over: 

Submitted

As a gentleman with a download game I feel your pain, my game is super small but still scares off some players. Either way all I can do is rate an support my other jam goers, especially with download games :)

Submitted(+1)

It happens a lot. That's why my goal this time was to actually get a WebGL version working. I still have a downloadable version that has saving and loading but the browser gets way more hits.

Submitted

mine is a browser game and still doesn’t get that much ratings in .. but at least the feedback i get is amazing :D