Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jam Reflection Thread Sticky

A topic by robobarbie created 18 days ago Views: 341 Replies: 21
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Host(+4)

Hello! For anyone who participated (whether you finished or not), feel free to share some thoughts here. How do you think you did? What were some highs/lows? Anything you've seen so far in other people's projects that you liked? Any thoughts welcome!

Submitted(+5)

Oh boy.

First of all: 10 days of Fabula feels like AN ETERNITY compared to Turbo and Formido's relatively short runs. I was waking up in cold sweat daily, thinking that I'm so, so behind, while in reality, the countdown barely went down. This was also my first Velox during which I didn't solo the entire thing, which massively contributed to me thinking that I'm doing nothing at all and I'm going to wake up too late to properly put everything together.

Big shoutout to my team, gods know I can't fucking do art. Visually, it's probably one of the best things I ever managed to release, and it's certainly the best looking thing I ever released for Velox. Everything that went wrong with this project went wrong because of me and me alone (did you know it was meant to have an original soundtrack? Well, the soundtrack got shelved last minute because it turned out to be barely audible and I did NOT have time to remake it at that point). I don't particularly feel like my writing is as strong as I'd like it to be in this one, and I feel like I actually overcomplicated many things while simultaneously not providing enough information, and in general, can you tell I'm in post-jam depression? I am in post-jam depression. Send help.

Either way. Finally, with Fabula on my account, I can proudly say I participated in all three versions of Velox. The theme's kinda broad in this one and it was quite interesting to try and figure out the extent to which it should go (literal? metaphorical? is "there" a place, a state of mind?). I can't wait to play everyone's games (I'm slooowly going through them all...) and see the approaches to it <3 Remember to stretch, drink some water, eat a fruit, maybe even touch grass. You Made A Thing and you should be proud of yourselves.

Submitted

I'm curious to hear what you feel you overcomplicated! Iirc All of us Flames' writing was very sharp and whatever went unaddressed or simply teased left me more curious than confused. 

Submitted

I'm not entirely sure if this is just me not really being used to it yet, but I do feel like I went a little too far with how long the sentences were in some places. My writing tends to be slightly more concise than that most of the time, so this might be just me adjusting to that new, "experimental" way of writing and feeling strange out of the usual "comfort zone"? From the story perspective itself, though, I think some "teases" were unnecessary and could safely be cut out. After rereading the script a couple of times, I feel like I tried to take too many topics at once, and I can't help but wonder if I didn't overload the potential reader with information in a relatively short time. I talked to some friends and I heard from one of them that they're not entirely sure that they'd understand the storyline if they didn't have context I gave them beforehand, so clearly I had to either overcomplicate, underexplain or both at the same time

Submitted

I’m surprised to hear folks said they wouldn’t be able to follow the story, your story has such a clear emotional arc that I don’t even really care personally about the wealth or dearth of context that surrounds it all that much. That’s obviously just my perspective but I like my perspective : ) 

Submitted(+6)

I suppose I oughta link my own postmortem which answers some of these questions (don't read it till after you play my entry plz and thx). That document, plus the comments I left, do a pretty good job highlighting what I really liked in other folks' entries. To answer the rest of the questions posed:

I have no idea how I did! Not even a little bit of a clue. Carcinogen turned out how it was always gonna turn out I reckon, and personally I wouldn't know how to even begin to rate a fever dream. So lmao sorry about that. I'm personally very happy with my own conduct during the jam - I took good care of myself and kept my expectations pretty reasonable, which are both pretty tall asks.

The highest moment for me was sharing the WIPs with friends and just getting responses like "gross" and "jfc michael". It tickled me. 

My personal low was probably struggling to start the script in the first place. For about three days I didn't know how to start, so I worked on art instead. It took leaving home, going to the library, and holding myself accountable to some friends to get me writing. Once I got the ball rolling, it wasn't so bad, but that first leap was surprisingly difficult to take. Thank the stars for friends.

On the whole I'm amazed at the extent to which each entry either had something very powerful to say or made really bold choices that I'm still turning over in my mind. A very strong showing. Honestly I'm curious how this jam self-selects but it's a talented group of folks any way you slice it. Great work, y'all!

Submitted(+1)

I need to be that one guy who goes "Objection!" to the "I'm bad at naming games" point. The title here is actually brilliant, and while it took me a second to get why it's like that, I found it really clever

Submitted

thank you ❤️ that’s very kind of you to say 

Submitted(+5)

This jam would have been smooth sailing if I didn't get a chest infection on day three LMAO (every game jam I've done this year has been cursed).

Honestly, since I got pretty sick I obviously couldn't get everything done that I wanted to (hence JAM EDITION), which I'm fine with now but I almost didn't submit because I was so caught up in everything I couldn't do falkjfala. I condensed the scrip a lot, ripped out an entire ending, and obviously had no time to do the CGs I wanted, and since it was so far from the vision in my head because of this, I thought that meant it was Bad(tm). After not touching it since I threw it on itch though, I am over my perfectionism and I'm honestly pretty happy that I managed to do anything at all considering the state I was in.

This is also such a fun jam to reflect on because it has been an entire year of doing Velox jams (+ September it will be 2 years since I first started releasing games)! And honestly, I really felt how much more comfortable I am with Ren'py now when compared to last year! I wasn't constantly looking up or reminding myself how to do basic things, I just knew how to do it. Like wow, finally, I know Ren'py coding 101! It's also made me more confident and willing to look into doing more complicated things for my long term project! I'm not sure how obvious my improvement is from the outside since I think I'm a pretty slow learner with things compared to others, but I can certainly feel it, and it's been nice to see.

As for the entries, I've had so much fun playing through them as always! It's always so fun to see all the different things people do with the theme and I've genuinely loved a decent chunk I've played. I'm hoping to marathon the remaining entries today and I'm excited to get through all of them! :>

Submitted(+1)

I was hoping that you won't end up having bad luck at this jam because I remembered your post from Formido... oh my gods, I hope the next jam goes smoothly for you. Happy that you submitted your game in the end! I assume that a lot of the cut content will end up in the post-jam edition?

Submitted

Askfajld I got sick for Formido AND O2A2 and now this one. At this point it's more comedy than tragedy xD I do work in healthcare (pediatrics specifically so children), so getting sick is expected lol but I'm happy I submitted too! And yes, the post jam update will include extended scenes and endings, as well as the CGs!

Submitted(+1)

Oh my goodness, I didn’t realize you faced such adversity smack dab in the middle of the jam! I hope you’re feeling better, and I’m excited to see what a post-jam version looks like!

I didn’t share this in my postmortem but I almost did: Every time I exit RenPy I forget what I learned and loathe opening it back up. It does take time to get used to any engine tbh, even if I don’t need the documentation I always keep it open bc I get spooked very easily. I’m glad you’re getting more comfortable, and that you’re noticing that change!

Submitted

It took just over two weeks but I'm finally feeling better, thank you! And yeah, I definitely felt that during the first few Velox jams I did. I had a dozen tabs open for basic Ren'py tutorials just in case I forget lol It takes time, but I'm glad I've kept at it and that I'm at the stage where I'm starting to feel comfortable with it!

Submitted(+5)

I'll be writing my own post-mortem so no one is subjected to me rambling for too long BUT!

This is my first time participating in a ranked jam and it's been... an experience?

Firstly, grappling with the idea of being rated myself? I have horribly fluctuating self-esteem, and while I'm proud of my little project, there is always going to be a part of me that compares myself to others and feels bad, especially with so much talent on display. Honestly, though, I'm not really thinking about the ratings I'll receive anymore, I'm just happy to have taken part. It'll actually be nice to be able to quantifiably see where things didn't connect for people. I've done post-game surveys before, but they are more player-based than dev-based, and I think the peer feedback would be helpful.

Secondly. HOW. DO YOU. RATE. GAMES?!
I've had a crisis of conscience to be honest, because I feel like the ratings are personal, and yet somehow I feel like my opinion should not be held in any regard. My personal taste is silly and specific, there are so many games here that I honestly would've never explored where it not for the jam (which makes me the poorer one), but I do find the idea of rating things unfamiliar and strange?
The category that gave me the most trouble was theme incorporation. Is it my enjoyment of the theme incorporation? The level of theme incorporation?
Anyway, I feel like I'm failing a test somehow...

Thank you for playing to anyone who has been subjected to my game, and thank you hosts for arranging this wonderful(ly stressful) time for us <3

Submitted(+1)

The day writers stop rambling is the day the universe implodes : )

Rating is scary! If I had to explain my ratings in a public forum I would opt to melt into a puddle instead. And the only thing scarier than a numbered list is a numbered list with my name on it. 

I personally ranked Theme Incorporation based on, first, how easy it was to determine who the “You” and the “here” is in “you shouldn’t be here” and then estimating how important that You and Here was to the *theme* of the story (since most very obviously pit the plot just fine). It was subjective! But if you’re gonna put it in my hands imma do as I please : )

Submitted

Oh, yeah, getting rated is one big thing about it. I only entered my first Velox because I completely forgot that it's a ranked jam because I absolutely dreaded the idea of being judged. But in the end, it's all between fellow devs who know exactly how the craft goes. I know that I took a lot from my Turbo and Formido scores - they reinforced what I already (more or less consciously) knew about myself and my games and allowed me to know what I do best, and what I still need to work on. Hope that this jam gives you the same opportunity to reflect once the scores come!

Rating things IS a strange thing. I try my best to not let my taste dictate my ratings too much, but I guess there'll still be something personal slipping through the cracks. It's normal that you're trying games you wouldn't normally try here - I'm the same. I guess we're all here to broaden our horizons a little? We're gathered here to work with a theme we've never heard before, after all, so, it's all about trying new things out.

When it comes to how I judged Theme Incorporation, I had a couple of different questions in mind. Who's "you" and where's "here"? Is it easily identifiable, or at least easy to infer from context? Why the "you" shouldn't be here? Additionally, and I think this is just my quirk, I kept thinking about a certain degree of "unnatural feel", "hostility" or "destructiveness" that comes with someone being where they're not meant to be. Does it really feel like someone's out of place, like they don't belong? Maybe they're here by unnatural means, maybe they've come uninvited, maybe the world around them wants them gone. I don't know. Either way, there was still a lot of criteria that I won't be mentioning because this isn't my essay. Also, I'm pretty much sure that I broke so, so many of my own standards... which pains me lol

Submitted(+4)

I've been pacing for days trying to figure out how to word my own post-mortem so I guess this place is the best opportunity to narrow those rambles for a dev log LMAO.

As always, I can not wrap my mind around any semblance of the good without first acknowledging the bad, and so we'll start with the big ol' "I NEED TO CLARIFY EVERY PIECE OF INFORMATION" sticker that I so love.

Motivations

So, this was my first real solo dev project! I've dabbled with interactive fiction and have had my hand in contributing to and leading other projects, but this was the first one published that I can say was solely me and that I got to have a hand in creating at least some part of every aspect. Going into velox with at least a good familiarity with pacing operations, I was already well aware that I was going to go in biting more than I can chew. That sounds crazy and full of self-sabotage+copium but HEAR ME OUT!

I think one of the biggest hurdles for me in doing anything new is that there's millions of possibilities and what-ifs running through my head at all times. I'll be in bed, lying awake at night doing mental exercises on "how would I code this", "how would I implement this", "how can I put a twist on this", etc. All of these of course build an intimidating mental monster that makes it feel impossible to do anything that is not pushing me to my limits tm, combine that with my late lack of passion and you get one lethal serving of mind for any creative. So of course, going into this, I started with a plan that was far grander than anything I could accomplish in the time of the jam (having other work occupy me most days also was not a point in my favor), because all that mattered at the moment was just "I need to want to create this" without doubts of "I'm not doing enough" seeping in.

I went in with art block and writer's block, and while I can't say I don't still suffer from them, there's also that little shining light of "I can do this because I just did it." Take your victories as they come!

Elephants in the Room

Okay so let's address what anyone who'd play the game in its current state would realize: It's a little messy. Pretty messy.

UI has taken a step in a direction but it could always be improved, the singular track of music I managed to slip in will condition you into madness by the end of scene 1, there's oodles and boodles of grammar+spelling+punctuation errors, plot was thrown into hyperdrive midway through scene 3 to fit emotional beats in (which beat a little less when they get rushed so LMAO), the final scene and endings really show off that "oh she did this 15 minutes before submission time" status, overly large chunks of writing bleed out into the UI, I seem to find difficulty in keeping names straight much to the regret of the swan name mixups and the "odile" sprites that this build continues to vainly search for (seems like even I'm guilty for blending those two Od- sisters together), the code could get a little tlc in terms of minor errors/lack of variable implementation, a missing proper title logo, and there are sprites and CGs whose presence would greatly add to this feeling more like a full experience (catch that excuse I subbed in since I only had the sketch of Odette's swan sprite LOL). Besides that, there were other things I worked on that just didn't have time to be fully implemented in a way that would make sense (cough minigame segments cough I'll come back for you).

I can't say I LOVE the art, since it's not my actual style (I fully went in thinking I was just going to make little dot-eyed guys) and I'm more of a fan of dynamic shots but there are parts that pulled me out of my tortured artist slump, even if just for a moment. Wait, no, positive things belong in the next section.

Anyways.  With all that to say, do I think this game is a quality and polished experience that I'd stand by to represent what I'm capable of? Hell no. It's flawed as hell and runs like a car you left out all summer to melt. But it's my shabby car and I intend to stick by it, both at its lowest and its highest.

Inspo and Self-Glazing

I think by now we get the "I made something!!! Woohoo!!! I broke that barrier!!!" positive mindset manifesting so I'll graciously skip past it.

Can I just say I love tortured lady freaks? My main idea going into this jam and theme was to try and be unique (tm) with how I interpreted the theme. I'm sorry to say but those of us raised on Broadway and especially Wicked are damned to a continuous cycle of "okay, but consider this-" whenever looking at villains. The black swan had popped up once or twice in my head due to my history with the BCU (more on that in a second) and the occassional dabbles of media making her the sad little Eponine/Not that Girl/losing dog, however that didn't spring it to the forefront of my mind for this.

No, it was the idea of parasites, especially brood parasitism, that got my brain gears turning. "You shouldn't be here." You're an infiltrator, something causing damage to an environment not made for you; look at the camoflauged egg of a cuckoo bird in a warbler's nest, how it pushes other eggs and chicks to their deaths to monopolize food and attention, and you can start to see the linings of our "black swan". That combined with my initial planned endings of if you succeed builds the first half/route created by the prompt. Secondly, I wanted to do a zoom-in on the character in question herself, Odile. Physically to others, she shouldn't be there, but I also wanted to have her internally rocked by this.

Her situation, her existence and dependence and need to get her hands dirty--to her none of it is fair. Why should she be born into a hunger that she believes can only be quelled by taking from others (Also I must say, heavily inspired by MLP Changelings, shoutout to my eternal pony muses)? It's both a semi-valid and childish view depending on how hard you commit to it. Because being born into such a situation without proper understanding, and feeling demonized by doing what it takes to survive definitely isn't fair. But also Odile is able to take this to extremes, in a way giving into that starving mentality of "it isn't fair that everything that should be mine isn't mine" and "I am better than all of this and can never be blamed for any of my actions." She's presented by potential outs but she's so blinded by envy and spite that she can't even see them. Womp womp.

So depending on your choices, the text explores these routes, helping to form Odile into a more genuinely tragic character but also a very toxic and flawed person. I may be in her corner but Odile definitely does not get a pardon for everything she does and thinks, even if you can trace the origins of those thoughts. And although I want to go in and flesh+pace this out more, I'm pretty proud of some of the choices I made to get this across. Dramatic bitterness is oxygen to my lungs.

Aside from writing, I did have a fun time going back to mostly lineless art and making myself hard commit to using a singular brush to make everything. While the style isn't something I'd fully recognize as mine, I'd say I enjoy the clothing designs and the homages I paid to different production costumes considering clothing and I are like oil and water. A final little fun tidbit is that all the swans in the court are named after Barbie Movie protags! One must never forget their roots...

It takes a village to raise a game jam

This has got to be one of the most cross-dev involved game jams I've been in considering the voting system and the plentiful comments! While it is spooky for someone with the social chihuahua shakes like me whose instinct is to lie belly up and clarify every little thing, it's also been so welcoming and fun!

I've played games with topics and in formats I haven't really focused on before, and just seeing the unapologetic diversity in every aspect of all these devs and their creations is so motivating. Really helps with that "they're going to throw tomatoes at me for daring to breathe" fear that usually keeps me from commenting or posting. Not to mention, I feel like I've gained so many coding models that make renpy that much less intimidating. An entry could have a character sprite performing a little move transform and I'd be excitedly taking notes down in awe and admiration. Others' comments have also gotten me all puffed up and helped lessen that post-jam "I need to be sent to the shame room with a paper bag as a mask for making this" mental block, and I can say that I've definitely recovered a part of that passion that's been hibernating for the longest time.

Really, all I've been able to think about is "I can't wait for the next vf jam" and if luck is ever on my side, this won't be the last I see of the creators from this one. :3

Submitted(+4)

It'll be really hard for me to think where I land... This entry is my second (solo) game ever - and can you believe this is one of the shortest gamejams I've been in? This is also one of the smallest, which made it feel like there was already a community already built into this jam. It felt a little like walking into a room of strangers slapping a laptop saying "I know how to write and program!!!" - what a bit of self-imposed pressure to deal with! I can't help those negative thoughts of "oh god, I barely even made it past the bottom rungs" - but I always need to remind myself we're here because we made something! And I'm proud of mine!! That's all that matters!!! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

But in turn and in honesty, it was a blast to be able to truly take time to play every entry (as opposed to seeing 2k+ or 200+ entries). There was something in literally every submission that I wish I had thought up of in order to make my own project feel more dynamic, more immersive or captivating. It was even more rewarding to take this gamejam as a chance to work closely with friends for their input before I published my piece, then spend the time to play other's games and share them with those same friends- and THEN go out to chat and meet those very developers I felt so intimidated by throughout this jam! I'm truly happy to have taken part and want to thank the hosts on that part for helping encourage a fun and healthy environment for that. Ah, I forget sometimes how refreshing and inspiring it feels to play and see things your peers are making! It's no wonder gamejams bring people together like this. Can I say the highs of this gamejam was during the voting section...?

I'm such a sucker for the themes and ideas around the main concept of this gamejam. Unfortunately this gave me a bit of scope creep - I think I'll blame it on my first few days of agonizing over the main plot points of my game, which left me a little under a week to actually write and polish the entire thing. But on the other hand, this forced me to give my project certain quirks that I worked into the story. My biggest decision was to remove all character portraits and art entirely in order to keep the color palette that the game now presents. I got a fair ways into it actually, and I really agonized over not having any kind of art, but in the end I'm letting the strength of the writing carry the game for itself, and perhaps give it its own identity. Maybe I may develop an alternate version with character sprites...?

This was a gamejam both a test of skill and experiment with form, and I'm really happy to join and see everyone's wonderful work! I can't wait to see what you all do next, and hope to be back for another :D

Submitted(+3)

So far, I’ve played 16 entries, and commented like 10 of them.

I have 3 days of intensive IRL work to come, so I’ll probably not have read everything at the end (maybe one more entry Sunday evening?), sorry guys.

Two things that I really appreciated : every entry I tested seemed to have been made for this jam and was related to the theme ; everyone did care of their VN and tried to do their best. Which is really different from the other (non-VN) jams I took part.

And to tell everything, imo, two games were clearly one step above all the others : All of us flames, and Cohabitation.

About the dev of my entry, I already wrote devlogs, so I pass here. ^^

Last but not least : this morning, my entry broke my previous record of browser play count : 53. Which is not much XD, but still, A peaceful wedding is my new hit ! Big thanks to all of you for giving it a chance.

See you !

Submitted(+4)

Man I wish I'd had exactly ten more minutes to finish putting in all the music tracks we'd planned and to fix the bug with the preferences menu 😭

Ten days felt like both too long and not long enough. I think we overshot on scope considering this jam seemed so much longer than Velox Turbo and Formido (we did actually create something for Velox Formido, but couldn't finish by the deadline so we didn't submit - instead, we took a week to polish it off and post it outside of the jam). I probably shouldn't have tried to modify something as complicated as the chatsim framework during a short-term jam: that's all on me. But in spite of everything, I think I learned a lot more about how Ren'py works, which is useful. And I'm glad we put out something, even if it's in kind of rough shape. And I will say I had a lot of fun designing the GUI and I wish I could have gone further with it but - so much to do, so little time.

For this jam, we worked with an additional writer and artist, so managing the new team flow and learning to work together was also an interesting and new experience.

I really enjoyed and was impressed by the other submissions! I'm not quite done getting through all of them but should be able to before voting ends tonight and I'm super looking forward to seeing the rest of them.
Submitted(+3)

I’ve been waiting to write this until I finished rating all the entries but now it’s time :)

Let me start with a bit of a sappy love letter to the jam itself. Multiple people have already said it but the Velox jams have this cozy little community around it that feels really special. This was only my second Velox jam but I felt the same surge of inspiration and motivation as last time. It’s a place to create something purely for the love of the genre and for the love of creating. Despite the ranking and the voting, it doesn’t feel like a competition. It feels like an oportunity to put something out there and actually have other people look at it, and to then give the same appreciation back.

Playing thorugh all the games has been such a blast and I’m so impressed with what people managed to accomplish in just 10 days. So many amazing VNs, many that will stay with me for a long time for sure! I have this deep love for passion projects and every single game truly felt like a labour of love. Every game also gave me something I want to work into my own future projects. I just want to create more now raahhhh!!!

As for my own entry, I might write a proper devlog later, we’ll see. But I will share some throughts in short! I thought 10 days would make me less stressed after I managed to get through Formido without crunching… I was wrong. 10 days felt so long that I started putting things off and went into procrastination mode. Somehow I still managed everything I wanted to put in the game (even a simple CG that I almost scrapped from the plan due to lack of time!). My biggest issue this time around was the writing. I wrote most of the script in the first 2 days and then spent a week not knowing how I wanted the game to end… I wrote the finishing lines (of the good end) in the last hours of the jam, when everything else was already done. I’m still not sure I like how I wrote it, but at least it is done!

I also tried a lot of new things for this jam! After Formido, where most of my focus was on the narrative, I wanted to focus on art direction. I had a lot of fun designing the UI and trying to make everythingn look cohesive. Pixel art was another new experience this project. While I have done simple pixel graphics once before for a game, high resolution pixel art was a new world for me, and it was so fun!! I did struggle a bit getting the art to show up nicely in ren’py at first but once I managed to put it all together, I was really satisfied. I’m honestly so happy with how the graphics turned out for this game and can’t wait to work on something similar again in the future!

I think that’s all for me! Thank you Robobarbie and Allie Vera for hosting once again! And thanks to all my fellow participants for making this jam so awesome! I hope to see you all around for the next Velox <3

Submitted(+3)

Well. Another Velox, another award for Theme Inclusion and Narrative. Thank you for reassuring me that my writing doesn't suck. I will be back for Turbo to see how long I can keep a quality streak like this lol

And to everyone who won, big congrats! Also big congrats to those who didn't quite make it, and especially big congrats to everyone who made their first steps into deving here. Hope to see you 'round, either on Turbo, Formido, or Fabula 3 <3