SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Introduce Yourself Sticky

A topic by Adventuron created Jan 24, 2020 Views: 1,006 Replies: 64
Viewing posts 1 to 19
Host

Welcome to the TREASURE HUNT JAM.

Feel free to use this thread to introduce yourself.  

Submitted(+1)

Er, g'day. My name's Garry. I'm an Aussie, but don't hold that against me. I participated in the first two Adventuron game jams and had a lot of fun, so I'm planning to enter this one, as well. I've already got a few ideas floating around in my head. If I can get these ideas to work in practice, I can promise something very different to what you might be used to. It will be very puzzle-centric.

I'm hoping to see a lot of the previous participants, as well as lots of new participants. If you're a beginner, don't be scared. The folks on the forum are very friendly and will help you out with any problems you may have. If Adventuron is busy, I'll be here as a backup.

I'll just give one word of advice. Start now! Don't leave it until the last minute or you'll run out of time.

Hmmm, maybe two words of advice. Test. Test. Test. Aim to finish at least one week before the deadline and ask others to test it for you. A good tester will find all sorts of issues that you missed yourself.

Host

G'day Garry (with two r's)

Thanks for coming back.  Three for three. Very flattered.

(+1)

hello there. I've participated in the first two jams (I didn't submit to the second one)  

I hope to make a better game this time. Since the main problem of my last game was the crappy graphic.

Have fun making games!

Host

Thanks for returning!

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.

Submitted

Hey Pixelman, what happened to you? I was looking forward to seeing how you'd improved, but then you disappeared. I hope everything is alright in your part of the world.

(1 edit)

hey there!!

Thanks for the message. Im alive and well. I tried to participate in more adventuron jams but I couldn't finish the games and they are canceled.

I tried using unity and now im working on a game for isolation jam.

And for the state of this part of world, well, all the world is on the same situation now, we are not doing too bad with the virus.

Submitted

Hello!  I'm Dee and I also participated in the last couple of jams.  Graphics aren't my forte so not having them will be a refreshing break - but as a writer I tend to be very wordy so the six-word response limit will be a challenge!  Really looking forward to getting stuck in once more.

Host

Hi Dee,

Good to have you back.

Do play (at least some of) the TWO adventure game to see how object-centric games work. It's very different to previous jams as you said yourself.

The constraints that TWO uses are much more severe than the jam constraints. One way of conveying state or story could be smart examine messages, and plentiful listed objects. There is no limit to the amount of objects that can be listed in a room. 

I think it's still possible to tell a proper story in the constraints, but as someone not a natural storyteller, I can think of the method, but I can't think of the story.

Good luck !

C

Submitted

Thanks! I played through TWO when it came out - will have another go soon to refresh my memory.

Hi, I'm Manuel and I participated in the last Halloween Jam. It was a really great experience and I hope to create something fun for this one. I've helped Chris a little bit with the Spanish translation of TWO so I think I know at least the basic concept ^_^ Let's embrace minimalism!

Host

Hi Manuel,

Good to have you back, and good luck in this jam.

Thanks so much for the translation of TWO, it was much appreciated.  I was happy to learn a little bit about the Spanish language too. The Spanish "Conversational Adventure" scene seems very friendly indeed.

Chris

Submitted

Hi Manuel. I think you took minimalism to the extreme. I was looking forward to your next game, as your halloween themed game was quite good.

Hahahaha, you made me laugh. 

Maybe next time!

Hi everyone!

My name's Aleksandr, and this is going to be my first game jam, if I follow through on it. (Though not my first game dev experience!)

Question for the pros: How do you approach a text adventure game? Do you draw a map before you model it in code? How do you approach writing a cohesive narrative or creating a good setting?

My biggest challenge currently is figuring out what I want my game to be about.

Host

Hi Aleksandr,

Welcome to the jam.

Garry is a great person to talk to about this subject. Until Garry comes to the rescue, do check out this link (Computer Adventures:The Secret Art by Gil Williamson). This is a transcript of a book that discusses adventure design. You can buy the book here.

This is also an interesting article to read when thinking about puzzles and player flow through the game.

Chris

Thanks!

Host

I think you really need to first think about a scenario that involves finding items, then think about puzzles, then probably think about the geography required for the puzzles. Working backwards from the final objective works best for me personally, but different people have different approaches.

Submitted (1 edit)

I always start with a title. Then usually the inspiration comes from that. I absolutely start with paper and drawn map and start planning out puzzles and object lists on there before I even touch the coding. :)

Submitted(+1)

There is no simple answer to this. It depends on the adventure and the individual. For me, I like to think of the time, the place, the puzzles and the objective.

By "the time", I mean when does the adventure take place? Past, present or future. Most adventures take place in the past. This gives them more character. The present tends to be a bit boring. The future tends to mean science fiction.

By "the place", I mean where does it take place? Is it on Earth or another planet or a fictitious world? If it's on Earth, what country and what city?

Once you have decided on the time and the place, start to think about what the scenery would look like during that time at that place. Is it indoors or outdoors or a mixture of both? What sort of buildings would you expect to find? How would the buildings be located with respect to one another? What sort of rooms would be in the buildings? What sort of locations would you expect to find if it's outdoors? What sort of objects would you expect to find in all those locations in that time period? Write lots of lists. Do Google searches on the time and place and before long, you'll have so many ideas that you won't know what to do with them all.

By "the puzzles", I mean what puzzles will you need to solve in order to meet the objective? It helps to decide on the time and the place before you start thinking about the puzzles. All the objects you thought of will start to give you ideas. Mix it up. Some objects should be in plain sight. Some should be hidden. Some objects should be found before you know what they're used for. Some should be found after you know that you need them.

The best puzzles are when you use common, ordinary, everyday objects in unusual ways.

Take lots of notes and be prepared to discard any ideas that don't fit the final game. It's okay to have a few red herrings (objects that serve no purpose), but try not to have too many.

And finally, to answer your question, yes, definitely draw a map and locate all the objects on the map before you enter any code. In fact, you should be able to write a complete walkthrough on paper before you write any code. It is much easier to see what works and what doesn't on paper than to spend lots of time coding only to find that you've got to change it because it doesn't work. Design, design, design, then code.

Submitted

Hi Aleksandr. How far did you get in the end? Did you get past the writer's block in the design phase or did you just lose interest?

I lost interest :(

I love games and making them, though, and I've recently been looking into fantasy consoles like PICO-8 and TIC-80 to have some fun in my free time :)

Submitted

Hi I'm Michael from Sweden. I am dipping my toe in this wonderful genre for the first time. I have done some games and jams before but never text games. Really looking forward to seeing  what you guys create for this jam.  I can't wait to design puzzles without getting stuck creating graphics.

Best regards!

Host

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the treasure hunt jam.

I agree it is freeing to not worry about graphics. There are some amazingly talented artists out there, and it can feel soul destroying to have a good game idea slowed down or cancelled entirely due to the inability to produce graphics that match the vision in your mind's eye.

This is just text and it will live or die through the quality of your world and your puzzles.

Good luck,

Chris

Submitted (2 edits)

Hey guys Dethmunk here AKA John Blythe. My first adventure JAM. The restrictions for this adventure are a nice focus for the mind. My adventure might not be amazing, we'll see, be gentle. First time using Adventuron so fingers crossed. As some know I'm all about the graphics so doing this without those is a challenge. At least I can have a little flurry with a Loading Screen ;)

Host

Welcome to the jam John.  Really hope you have a fun time. 

It is my hope that (in this forum) that more experienced adventure game authors should help out those less experience, especially in matters of design.  I'll probably start a design thread later.

(+1)

Hey everyone! Trying this- Love the editor!

Lots of help available, clear tutorial and the AMAZING combo of CTRL+Space is godsend! :D

I got the basics- now thinking of a good story. :P

Man, making games is hard! :D

Host

Thanks for the complement about the system. It's not at all perfect, but I have tried to document it best I can. In the end it may still be too complicated for some without dedicated guidance, for others it is enough.

Whatever category you fit in, help will be available in this forum.

Good luck with your game!

Submitted

Oh, no. I didn't realise how many people had introduced themselves and dropped out. We all know that writing games is hard, but how'd you get on in the end? Did you get past the "thinking of a good story" phase?

Hello. My name is TheGamer. I'm a game developer for fun and this is my first time making a text adventure game and using Adventuron. I'm good at coding, but bad a writing interesting stories. Hope we could have fun in the jam!

Host

Hello TheGamer,

Welcome to the jam.

If you are not a story person, then just come up with a simple scenario. Maybe you are trapped somewhere and have to find seven keys for an exotic door? Each of the keys is acquired by solving a different puzzle tree? The great thing about treasure hunts is that (although it can have a good story) it doesn't have to have a great narrative.

Good luck with making progress, and if you get stuck for inspiration, check the design thread out in this community. Garry just wrote a post on design.

Be seeing you,

Chris

Submitted

Hi TheGamer. I'd be interested in your thoughts on Adventuron. Did you find it easy or hard? Did the editor hold you back or was it just a problem coming up with an interesting story?

Problem with an interesting story. Literally, at that time, I didn't have any idea or a story plot for my game.

Hi folx,

I'm Chris and I'm not sure why I've joined this jam other than that I've always wanted to try my hand at a text adventure. I usually write pen and paper games, so this is very much outside my comfort zone.

Looking forward to getting going!

Host

Hi Chris,

Really nice to have new authors coming on board.

Do get accustomed to the Adventuron system as soon as you can and do play the TWO game.  If you get as far as the dungeon location, then you should understand how puzzle design works under tight text constraints. If you get stuck in TWO, there is a full PDF, and SVG to assist. Adventuron has its own tutorial video + web documentation.

If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help in the forum.  Make sure you extend the two theme, and that you nominate a treasure_room (as shown in the sample code on the main jam page).

Good luck.

Chris

Submitted

Hi Chris, how did you go in the end? Did you find that writing a text adventure was TOO far out of your comfort zone or you just ran out of steam?

Submitted (1 edit)

Hi. I'm Artem.  Can be said  that I'm new to gamedev, but just as a average developer I have a lot of started and not finished projects =) In childhood I liked text adventures and want to join the jam.

Btw, I didn't find any word about sound and music in jam games. Is it allowed or forbidden? I'd like to add some ambient music for atmoshpere.

Host (1 edit)

Hello,

Welcome to the jam. I do hope you will enjoy it.

Sound and music is permitted (and optional), but dialog is not permitted in the sound and music. The game should be able to be completed without sound, so don't encode hints and clues into the sound effects.

Remember that you should only use music and sound for which you own a license.

To properly attribute assets you use in the game, there are multiple ways, but the simplest is to embed any attributions in the "notes = " section in the game_information {} section. Typing CREDITS will reveal all the embedded credits, which is the only breaking of the fourth wall that is permitted when playing the game (as to its word count constraints).

Chris

Submitted

Thank you for your reply, I'm really happy that music is permitted.  No worries about license, I am a composer so just will write a couple of tracks)

Host

I haven't documented the music / sound functions of Adventuron much yet, but here is a simple example. Note that you can use a relative path of the mp3 file when it comes to the final build, but in testing, you either need to save off the game to the folder containing the mp3s (in order for sound to play), or you upload files to a server you own and point to that server in the testing phase.

'll try to document this better later ...

start_at = start_location
game_information {
   notes = Bell sound effect is Copyright of Author of Bell Sound + License Text.
} locations {
   start_location : location "Type \"BELL\" to play a bell sound." ;
} ######################################
#  On Startup                        #
###################################### on_startup {
   : play_music sound = "song_intro" ; // Starts playing music (no preload here)
   : print "Introduction text here !!!" ;
   : preload "incidental_bell"; // Will preload (in the background) an audio asset you may wish to use soon
   : press_any_key ;
   : stop_music ;
} on_command {
   : match "bell _"  {
      : play_sound sound="incidental_bell" ;
   }
} assets {
   sounds {
      ## Please attribute your sound effects in game_information / notes section.

## NOTE: You can also use relative paths here, and place the files in the zipfile you 
      //       upload to itch.

## Sound effects should start with incidental_
      incidental_bell : sound_sample "https://your.domain.here/bell.mp3" ;

## Music should start with song_
      song_intro      : sound_sample "https://your.domain.here/your_tune.mp3" ;

}
}
Submitted

Amazing, thanks a lot

(+1)

Hello everyone,

My name is Helpinghand, Helping, Hands, Ricky, which ever one you guys prefer to call me is fine. I am currently doing a lot of game jams so I have stuff for my portfolio for when I graduate in the fall. I am currently taking a Fundamentals of Game Development so I want to get as much practice I can. I have done a text based game in Java back in high school but I think this would be a good challenge for me to re familiarize myself  quickly. Thank you for making this jam! Good luck to everyone :D

Host(+1)

Hi Helping Hands Ricky,

Thanks for joining in.

I hope that you have enough time on your hands to complete something for this jam.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a design you come up with.

Good luck.

Chris

(+1)

Hi people! 

This is my first ever time trying a jam. I got an funny idea about the game design and puzzle mechanics so be surprised.  ;-D I am happy for this oppurtunity to make something fun while playing with the engine. 

Thank you Adventuron! And good luck to everyone participating.

Host

Hello Rigachupe,

Welcome to the jam. Wonderful to hear this is your first jam. Looking forward to seeing your puzzle mechanics. I do hope that Adventuron's limitations do not get in the way.

P.S. Remember as a local file often via "Menu / Save File" as there are no cloud backups.

Have fun,

C

Submitted(+1)

Hello! My name is Jimmy! First ever game jam!

Submitted

Welcome Jimmy. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. Don't forget that if there's anything you need help with, there's Ctrl+Space within the Adventuron editor, there's lots of interesting snippets in the tutorial and there's plenty of help available in this forum. Just ask.

Host

Welcome to the jammy, Jimmy.

Good luck!

Submitted

Hello! My name is Benjamin. I live in Inwood, New York City. This is my first game jam. I've been programming a long time, always wanted to make an adventure game. I know it's easy to lose focus on a project and I think the constraints set by the rules will give me a fighting chance of getting over the finish line. :-)

Submitted

The first one is always the hardest, but don't let that put you off. Welcome to the fun.

Host(+1)

Hello Benjamin,

Welcome to the jam.

Best place to start I think is to load up the sample code and see how it works, also play TWO and check out the code for TWO.

The default theme (two) can be left in place, and you can tinker with it later on.

Try to keep your word count low, and build mood with items in your per location object list. There are two word limits per object, and two word limit per location description, but you can fill a room with as many items of scenery or objects as you want, and manipulate the object list as much as you like in response to player inputs. 

I'm rambling. Good luck to you.

Chris

Hello! My name is Ben. I studied game design in san francisco. This is my first game jam. Although I've learned game design for a long time, this is my first time to try a jam. I hope I can finish this text only game this time.

Submitted

Welcome Ben. You've still got more than two weeks to go, so there's plenty of time. Just keep it simple and you can't go wrong.

Host

Good luck Ben. Hope it's coming along well. If you have any problems, don't be afraid to holler

Submitted

Hi Ben. I know you were tight for time, but it looks like you didn't make it across the line. You can still complete your game, if you haven't lost interest, and submit it to itch.io. Just let the people on this forum know, as I'm sure some of them would still like to play it.

Submitted

Hello, I'm clearly not actually named Rex Mundane, but this is the internet and it's as good a callsign as any. 

Not my first GameJam, but my first with Adventuron/Text Adventures. Casual fan of IF since way back. First game I ever tried to code was, if you can believe it, a Text Adventure about Sonic the Hedgehog, written in QBasic in 1994. It was... I mean, imagine how bad that idea must have been, right? Yeah, it was worse than that. I promise. 

Anyway, didn't even know about the jam or the software until about a week ago and have been hammering out a project ever since. My game itself will be about collecting Text Adventures, because that's about where my creativity level is. Hoping to finish an Alpha in the next week I can post in the appropriate thread. Good luck to all!

Host

Hello Rex (not your real name),

Welcome to the jam and good luck with your very novel treasure hunt.

Just a word of advice, learn how to upload your game to itch  with the right settings as soon as possible, but be sure not to mark it as public. It will be stressful to try to sort all that out in the final 24 hours.

Here is the uploading guide (re-using this post from a previous Adventuron gamejam):

https://itch.io/jam/cavejam/topic/543846/tutorial-uploading-your-adventuron-game...

Chris

Submitted

Welcome Rex (not your real name). Great idea for a treasure hunt! You've got me intrigued to see which adventures you chose for the treasures.

Submitted

Welcome Mr. Mundane (not real name). Sounds very cool idea. I hadn't done anything with Adventuron before this Jam either. but found it super quick to get into. BTW I hope there is a Zork I, II & III to collect in your list...  bit of advice, given the Adventure Master Scott Adam's a judge drop a few of his in there too!!  ;) LOL Welcome and I hope you get it finished in time for the deadline. 

Submitted

Hi all! I actually submitted an entry to the jam a few hours before the deadline, but didn't get around to introducing myself until now.

I come from a programming/electronics background, although I'm currently working in an unrelated industry. I have a lot of downtime in the office at the moment, and over my lunch two days before the (extended) deadline, I checked out itch.io's jam listing to see if there was anything that I could join in. Like a lot of people, I've been dreaming/thinking/talking about making a game for years, but I always get sidetracked by my own overreaching.

I liked the idea of a minimalist text adventure game, and after playing around with Adventuron for a couple of hours, it seemed doable. I spent the rest of the first day thinking up a story, drawing a map, and filling the world with obstacles and objects on paper. My second day was spent actually typing everything into Adventuron. At around 11pm I had to call it a night, and knowing that I wouldn't have time to work on the game any more before the deadline, I cut out a couple of things that I had planned. But on the whole, I'm pretty happy with my little game.

Submitted

Welcome on board. I must say that's a pretty impressive effort to design and code an adventure using a new language in just a few days. I look forward to playing it. Now the fun starts, i.e. playing everyone else's adventures! Good luck with your entry.

Submitted

Thanks! Good luck to you, too.

Host

Hi there,

Thanks for the story of how you came to enter the jam. Very fast work. I do hope the system didn't get in your way too much.

If you ever want to code another game outside of a jam, and the jam constraints, then feel free to post generic questions about Adventuron using this forum over the next month.

Well done on finally making a game. I look forward to playing it.

Chris

Host

I added some playtest feedback for Tastybuns. You don't necessarily have to address anything in the feedback. Just relaying my experience. I'm not a judge by the way.

https://itch.io/jam/treasure-hunt/topic/707529/comments-on-tastybuns-burgers

Submitted

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the feedback!