On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What'd you struggle with in this game jam?

A topic by DrManatee created Mar 01, 2021 Views: 632 Replies: 66
Viewing posts 1 to 28
Submitted

First of all, this game jam has been a blast, I learned so much! 

It was my first time using Github, and my first time doing a multi-editor project in Godot (by sharing the project in a Github repository). This proved to be an incredibly unreliable as the project would constantly get desynced and we had to reset the project from a backup several times. If any of you have ever made a multi-developer project in Godot, I'd love to hear your experiences and how well it went for you!

Since game jams are about learning and growth, let's share our cautionary tales on our mistakes so that others can avoid those mistakes next time!

Submitted

The thing that I most struggled with was placing in the background for my game. It may sound simple but I had to place over two thousand grey triangles which took a good 3 hours of my time. I now realise that I could've just copied and pasted, but now it just looks more natural. :) 

Submitted

oh dang, that sounds tedious! What game engine do you use?

Submitted

Unity lol

Submitted
Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted

Maybe you could try making a seamless sprite and use it as a tile? (not sure)

Submitted(+1)

This was my first game jam so a lot of basics, but I think I learned more this past 2 weeks (also entered the Brackeys jam) than I have in the many months I've been learning before! The thing I spent the most time on was character movement, and getting it to feel fair when you die rather than feeling like the game was screwing you over.

P.S. just played your game - I love the mechanic of evolving to adapt against what killed them. The whole thing feels very Zerg-like.

Submitted

Congrats on your first jam! Cool to someone else going on the game jam circuit, I also did this and the Brackets jam! High pressure and high stress environments like this are when I learned best at the start also, and I hear you on the character controller. Those things are super finicky to get right. I spend so long just fiddling with the variables 

PS. The art/ideas was super Zerg influenced, I loved playing through Heart of the Swarm. I'm glad it was noticed 

Submitted

Thanks, hopefully I'll be around for a while!

The Zerg influence definitely shows! I'm Protoss myself so Legacy of the Void was my favourite, but I thought Heart of the Swarm was amazing too.

Any tips on your favourite jams to compete in that I should be looking out for as a newbie? At this point the next one on my list is the next Brackeys one.

Submitted

Honestly, while big jams like this are fun and rewarding, I also enjoy just joining small jams as well in between them. It let's you get some good practice in a low stress environment where there's no pressure on yourself and you can focus on learning and improving. 

My first big jam was the Miz Jam 1 this summer, and I thought it had a pretty cool gimmick where everyone uses the same asset pack, and the rest is open ended. It also had the really nice feature where you had 48 hours you could spend however you wanted over 9 days, so it was a lot more manageable if you had other things you were busy with as well. I believe that the next one happens this summer! 

But honestly just look through the jams on itch and if any one has a gimmick that you like, go for it! (There's an MS paint jam that I've been trying lmao)

Submitted

indecisiveness on whether I would join or not. At first I wanted, then Friday came and I knew I wouldn't have much time. However, that night I couldn't sleep so decided to make a simple text adventure game for the jam. This meant an entire day wasted, on top of the many hours I knew ahead of time that I wouldn't be able to work on it.

Second problem: The first iteration of my input system sucked to use,  and at first it didn't look too bad until I got to write the fight code. Turns out that those need a loop and my old input system did not like that and the best I could do with it was recursion. So..that was even more time wasted.

The third mistake I made: It is a browser game, why do it the old way where you need to run commands to get basic info like available weapons. Just make a button that opens a modal with all the info. So, that was MORE time wasted on stuff that needed to go.

(Do you notice a theme here?)

I also wasted some time because my refusal to use globals made it hard to debug. I know that this goes against common sense, it is just a browser thing especially if your game is often waiting for the user. Basically, if I made my player or dungeon object an easy to access global I could've inspected it whenever I wanted no breakpoints or anything needed. Instead, it wasn't easy to reach from the console so that was not an option.

Submitted(+1)

yeah I definitely understand the feeling of not knowing whether I want to join a jam or not. Whenever I do solo jams, it's always a crap shoot on whether I'll submit since unlike team jams, I'm not letting anyone down if I decide to not do it.

Ah yeah I seem to have the opposite issue with globals, I feel like I overly rely on them which means I can't trace what's breaking my game since it's all just a bunch of signals. It's one of those gray middle ground situations and I wish there was just a right answer

Submitted

well, normally the answer is: As few as possible.

Submitted

My main game mechanic is super super hard to design levels with.

In order for everything to line perfectly I had to run all the way from the beginning to make even the slightest change. This alone made everything so so complex which almost made me ditch this and not participate.

Also, webGL was doing it's tricks on me when I had 40 minutes left. Was more stressed than I should have. 

Submitted (1 edit)

oh I saw the overview of your game, it seems like a really cool idea! I definitely want to check it out later. I'll have to see what you're talking about with the level mechanics. 

And yeah I don't have much experience with Unity but last project I helped uploading and it took so long lmao I was sweating. Why must unity always play with your feelings like this

Submitted

One word: TIME

Submitted

juggling school, robotics, and this. 

Submitted

Since this is my first game jam, but I've been familiar with these for a while, I decided to not take any chances. The first day would be thinking about the idea and testing a few mechanics, the second day I had to have the whole game playable from start to end, and the third day would be just bug fixing, adjusting the difficulty or explanations to the player and polishing (sound effects, music, menu). It worked pretty well for me. I also decided to go with mechanics I'm familiar with, I'm pretty happy with the result. 

Submitted

Congrats on submitting your first! Welcome to the endless void of joining game jams, you have no hope of escaping now

Really smart of you to keep the scope small and have a plan, leagues better already than my first jam where I had the "start programming immediately and it'll work out" mentality

Submitted

thanks, and you are probably right, I liked the experience and will look for more game jams to participate in

Submitted

I always struggle with scope and I had more extensions I wanted to add in; a market, new weapons/armour/enemies/locations, a speedrun timer. I resisted on all these.

But what really tripped me up was not testing to how the game would look on build. With little time to go, I had to completely restructure my UI for windows and WebGL build because it wasn't appearing how it was in the Unity Editor.

Submitted(+1)

Ay nice, that's some character development! Resisting scope creep is hard for me too, I just have to keep reminding myself of the time limit

Does Unity have viewport options? The scaling issue was a problem for me in my first few jams (you could see more of the game if you realized the window lmao), but after I switched to a 2D viewport it wasn't an issue because it would scale proportionally with the window size. Apologies if you already know about this, just thought maybe it might help!

Submitted

Yeah, gamejams actually help because otherwise I'd just keep going and never end.

I think it does, I'm not sure exactly what the problem was maybe resolution mismatch. It was a big problem at the last minute I didn't not need. 

Thanks for the help, I'll figure it out when I get back to developing it. The game is functional with the UI being a bit off and that's good enough for now.

Submitted

My game's main feature has a ghost doing all your actions after you die. Basically a replay system. This was very hard to do at first.

At first, I made it record your position with all inputs and time. The ghost would glide to them. This was really hard to make and it was stupid. It didn't feel real.

Then, I made somewhat of a scripting language and made the ghost script as close to the player's as possible, only doing commands the player gave it. 

This had an issue, though: Some actions were interpreted differently because of the different interpretations of different things that were really hard to pin down.

On the last day, I scrapped it all and instead did what I should've done: Made the player and ghost inherit from the same class, and just have one's inputs be taken in on keypress for the player, and have the ghost read from an array of those inputs with time. This made everything extremely accurate unless there is a drastic change in framerate.

Submitted

Oh god i know this feeling, having a main idea but not knowing how to do it

this was exactly what happened with me on my first jam, & lets say instad of making a game in a week, i like real time, only worked for 5h or so, i am happy it ended up well tho :D

Submitted (1 edit)

Oh boy this jam really screwed me, but i learned new stuff, such as the trail renderer component, how to write better code in less time, how music works, & how unity call functions in the update method, it was pretty fun to say the least, But it was hard, i ran out of time & i needed to make a second update after the jam cause there was a bug that couldn't let you even play level 2 (which is like 50% of the game), it wasn't an easy task with exams & the brackeys jam, but overall, it was fun :D.

Submitted

hey nice, if there was improvements that means it's worth it, and you learned it for next jam!

Submitted

trying my best to not be overcome with ScopeCrepe, another thing was issues with the background music, i use godot ( I'm new to it btw, my old engine was UNITY) in my last game this wasn't an issue, but when transitioning from one level to the next, the audio would not replay, or loop. this drove me nuts and i gave up on it in the end. 

Submitted

rip, same, i kinda tried to make the main menu music & the level music blend in loading, but i gave up due to time

Submitted(+1)

it's all good, we had to sacrifice something for this 72 hour jam lol

Submitted

yeah

Submitted(+1)

Nice, welcome to Godot! Your problem could be with the import settings, you can choose whether or not it loops there! (Ps this is also useful for importing pixel art and not having it be blurry)

Let me know if this helps!

Submitted (1 edit)

oh no way!! Omg...lol btw I knew about the pixel art import...but never guessed to try the same thing with the music...omg lol 😄 thank you so much for showing me this!! Appreciate it 🙏

Submitted

glad I could help! let me know if you have any other questions/annoyances

Submitted

also, you can take current music position from AudioSource.get_playback_position(), put that into a global variable, and then use AudioSource.play( global.music_position ) to keep the same music going thru scene changes  

Submitted

man I am learning alot here, thank you guys so much

Submitted

yo I didn't know that, thanks for sharing

Submitted

Or you could make an auto load singleton, and it will always keep playing, even after switching scenes. You could also use that as an audio manager/library (that’s what I do). I don’t know if this is recommended, but it’s an easy way to manage audio. 

Submitted

Coding a bunch of stuff from scratch.  I had scripts I've previously made and used in other games, but for some reason rather then reusing them like we are allowed to I chose to spend hours trying to get basic things like moving and jumping (mainly jumping) to work.

Submitted

lmao yeah I feel that, often in my old projects I would add a bunch of game-specific mechanics to the player script so I was just like "eh, it's not worth it to go clean that up, I'll just make a new one"

Submitted

This was my 5th jam. I wanted to take a break from unity, so I used scratch. I can say that I have a high level of knowledge of that game engine, so I had no struggles for most of the coding part. The art turned out way better than I expected. The only struggle I had was with THE LEADERBOARD. Doing an online leaderboard overall is pretty hard, but I just could not figure out how to put the largest (or in y game smallest) number on the top.

Overall, I think my game turned out all right. You can play it here: HERE

Submitted

wow, it's not many people I see use scratch, and even less that manage to get an online leaderboard up and working! I don't have much experience with scratch so I'm curious, how would you go about sharing data between games in scratch to make that leaderboard? I gotta check it out cause that seems cool

Submitted

I use something called a "cloud variable", which stores all the scores on a public file. That's easy to set up (it works just like a regular variable) but the pain is pair it with the leaderboard. I use something called a list to make a leaderboard, and sadly there is no such thing as "cloud list". So pairing them up is complicated.

Submitted

I probably should make a leaderboard script and use that in game jams that allow pre-made scripts...

Submitted

Smart :)

Submitted

I'll be honest when I say that coming up with an idea for the jam was the hardest lol. Every idea I came up with was basically " Die and use yourself as a platform "

Then I re-watched Jonas's video about the jam and what he said was all I needed. Take a popular game or genre and turn the conditions around.

So I took a stealth game and tried to center it around getting caught. Some people think I achieved it while others couldn't really see what I was trying to do. My fault I guess lol.

Most people think my game is fun though so that's enough for me

Submitted

Oh hey I recognize you from the BTP art channel lmao 

And yeah I've been noticing that as a trend with a few games I've seen in the jam. Like they don't really use failure as a theme, but by switching some game mechanics around they end up with a fun game where the only issue is that it isn't really using failure to progress. But the games still end up being fun, so I don't really judge them too harshly for it since the theme did its purpose and helped them make a pretty unique take on a genre.

Definitely want to check your game out! I'm a big fan of stealth games

Submitted

I agree. But honestly, the theme is optional, and if it helps create great games, then that’s enough for me. 

Submitted

Scope and priorities. Had to eave a lot on the cutting floor late into development. Context sensitive tutorials was one of these features ended up with bland tutorial rooms.

was also programming in/developing features way ahead of the art and level design.  This left the features working but not telegraphed very well to the user.

Submitted

I'm curious, what are these context sensitive tutorials? Like it senses what you're doing and gives you a tutorial about it? And yeah onboarding players is so hard because things that seem obvious to the dev could be completely unknown to the player. That's why I always give my games to a friend with no experience with the game first and see where they get stuck before I submit

Submitted

Nothing too complex just checking if the player got an item for 1st few times and and highlight things in the level where the item can be used or popup.

Submitted

oh nice, yeah I can see how that would get difficult

Submitted

getting people to play my game... here it is https://itch.io/jam/wowie-jam-3/rate/938945 my submission ;)

Submitted

My main struggle was time, if you go and look at my game, i had to make so it can dismount in pieces and that took a lot of time, but in the end i managed to get a good game.

if you want to check it out is here: https://itch.io/jam/wowie-jam-3/rate/940571

Submitted

This was my second jam and second game ever (did the brackeys jam like a week or two ago) and I'm quickly realising that my biggest weakness is not anything technical (I can figure out how to do most of what I think of) but its the process of taking an idea and following through the entire process of developing that idea.

I can quickly think of a few mechanics but I never take the time to fully flesh out things like how will the player be motivated, how will difficulty progress etc. I usually keep pushing that stuff off because I don't want to focus on it and I ended up having to make my game super short at the end .

Also, I focus on the wrong thing, wasted a few hours attempting to make music for my game (which I had to scrap away because it wasn't sounding good) and I could have better spent that time further planning out my game

Submitted(+1)

Ay nice, we both did the back-to-back Brackeys Wowie Jam! But yeah level designing is not an easy task, I feel like it makes the difference between if a player gets fully introduced to your mechanics and loves the game or gets confused / hit with a difficulty spike and quits. It's a bit tricky to get right 

Submitted

I didn´t have an idea on the first day.
So on the second day I worked  more than 10 hours and after 7 hours of sleep for 25 hours straight to get it finished on time, so yeah I probably was to ambitious, but I´m happy with the result :)

If you want to check it out:

https://itch.io/jam/wowie-jam-3/rate/940665

Submitted

In this jam I had a lot of recurring issues that I forgot how to fix. That was a big time waster. Also, I was steaming, and so lag would randomly take over at times.

Submitted

Man I feel that, my mind feels like a sieve sometimes and I feel stupid having to google basic problems I've dealt with before lmao. I can't imagine streaming while coding, because it would mean I would have to make my code make sense to other people also. How do you like the experience of streaming while game deving, do you feel like it helps or hurts your workflow?

Submitted

This was my second game jam and first Godot game! It's surreal to see that people love the game I've created..

There wasn't much of a struggle, maybe because I've struggled much more on my first jam (GMTK) and previous games. It was all enjoyable to design levels and improve visuals, after I've build the prototype. The greatest learning that helped me this time is to create a minimum viable product, the basic platformer movement in my case, before working on art or other features. I've spent more than half the time just to perfect the core platformer mechanics, making it responsive and fun. That was the end of big challenges. Cool ideas come after that, and development is fast.

I've also learnt a lot playing others games; from how fast paced a game should be to making the game rewarding. On the whole a great experience!

(PS Thank you @DrManatee, happy to see my game on your favorites collection :D )

Submitted(+1)

Ay nice, cool to see someone else using Godot too! But yeah your game hit the perfect spot for game jams in that it was short, simple, and showed what it was about in the first few minutes! Congrats on your second game jam! And hey, less struggle means you're improving 

Submitted

I have made several games already, but usually I'm more of a designer/writer than an actual programmer or art guy. One of the reasons I wanted to make a game jam was to polish a bit those skills, since I tend to forget them.

Thankfully, I'm think I can defend myself in the programming area, but art and animation... nope, those were a nightmare.

If you play my game you'll see that the character basically has an idle animation and a movement one, since jumping is just one frame: at the beggining I thought about having one when you posess a body, another for when you die, etc., but only those two animations took me HOURS. 

I am happy with the result, since I think they have a certain charm, but yeah, animation was my biggest hell.

Submitted

Ah yeah, animation can be hell sometimes, it takes me so long to get right. What are your main issues with animations? For me it was not having the frames link up well and the timing being off, but the first of those issues was sorta remedies once I learned about onion skinning

Submitted (1 edit)

This was the first game I had made and finished in nearly 3 years, so I was definitely rusty haha.  I didn't start until mid way through Saturday, so I lost a day because of my laziness. I feel like if I had started on the Friday, I would've been able to of made proper songs for the game and add some funny sound effects... I wanted to also have multiple different scenarios  for each character to add a bit of replay value to it but had to re-adjust the scope on Sunday night which was a smart move in the end. I definitely wouldn't of been rushing around at the last minute trying to export the damn thing! 

Overall though I had so much fun making the game and I'm itching to make some more. It was also great getting a friend of mine; whose an amazing artist by the way, to make the stupidest looking people for my dumb game haha.

If you wanna check out the game, I'd really appreciate it: https://koomplr.itch.io/you-suc

Submitted (1 edit)

The thing i struggled the most?

The time. I had no time schedule so it was very wild weekend :D

Also getting people to rate my game first.

My game: https://itch.io/jam/wowie-jam-3/rate/939583

With mine, the biggest issue was probably figuring out how the "throw the match" mechanic would work. Getting the combat working ended up going smoothly, but after the first day I was stumped -- I had an initial idea of having to please the mob by fulfilling certain criteria (like getting health bars to match up at certain percentages, or getting bonus points the lower the enemy's health got), but none of it felt intuitive or easy to explain quickly. In the end I kind of threw up my hands and went with a simpler score-based system because it was the easiest to code and the easiest for people to "get".

Submitted

I found the gamejam very stressful. I had an idea right away, but it still took a long time. But I also learned a lot of new things. All in all, I`m very happy with my first gamejam.

You can still try out my game here if you want:

Spike hunter by michagames (itch.io)

Submitted (1 edit)

I had three main problems; my first is that I suck at art of any kind so my game art is terrible:(. The second is I struggled with time, meaning I had no time to playtest, which meant the difficulty was terrible and it wasn't very user friendly. Also unity decided that it didn't want me to change the text in Text.text, so I had to dig up some old unity ui interface called GUI.label which I didn't properly understand, which led to the ui being messed up.